Preparing for the 2020 General Election!
Find out the most important info below:
Voters are strongly encouraged to take advantage of the Absentee Voting Process due to COVID-19 and the anticipated historic turnout at polling locations on Election Day. The deadline to request an Absentee Ballot or vote in-person at the Absentee Ballot Office is October 29. If you are voting Absentee due to the concern of contracting or spreading COVID-19, the appropriate box to check on your Absentee Ballot Application is: “I have a physical illness or infirmity which prevents my attendance at the polls. [ID Required]”– this is the second box/selection on the Absentee Ballot Application. The ability to vote an Absentee Ballot due to concern about COVID-19 is legal pursuant to the emergency rule issued through the authority of the Alabama Secretary of State. Please click HERE for detailed instructions on how to complete your Absentee Ballot application.
Absentee Office Info:
• The Absentee Office will open on Wednesday, September 9, 2020
• Madison County Courthouse – 100 North Side Square, Huntsville – first floor
• Open each business day – 8:30am to 4:30pm
At the Absentee Office, a voter may:
• Apply in-person for, receive, and return his or her own Absentee Ballot
• Hand-deliver his or her own completed and sealed Absentee Ballot
• Receive assistance with any part of the Absentee process
When visiting the Absentee Office:
• Please bring your valid government issued photo ID
• Please bring your own pen to avoid unnecessary contact – a pen will be provided if needed
• A face covering over the nose and mouth is strongly encouraged – a mask will be provided if needed
• Please maintain a distance of six feet
Handle it all by mail:
To avoid contact altogether voters may request and receive their Absentee Ballot via mail. The application can be found HERE. Instructions are included on the application. When your application is received and processed, an Absentee Ballot will be returned to you. Please remember that only one Absentee Ballot is allowed per return envelope. Please click HERE for detailed instructions on completing and returning your Absentee Ballot.
For questions, special assistance, or additional information regarding Absentee Voting please click HERE or call (256) 532-3684.
-ABSENTEE VOTER ASSISTANCE SITES-
Absentee Voter Assistance Sites that will operate throughout Madison County during the month of October. This is a joint effort of the Probate Judge and Circuit Clerk – all being done in an effort to bring certain services offered only at the County Courthouse out into the community in advance of the 2020 General Election. Sites will operate as drive-thru only to ensure quicker assistance and provide for social distancing. Personal protective equipment will be in place and used by those administering the process. These sites will operate a total of 15 days during the month prior to the General Election.
Services will include:
• Absentee ballot application assistance
• Notary service or witness for absentee ballots that need to be completed and returned
• Drop-off location for fully completed absentee ballots in lieu of returning them via mail
• Ballots will not be issued at these assistance sites, however voters that wish to vote via absentee ballot “same-day” may do so on the first floor of the Madison County Courthouse any business day from 8:30am to 4:30pm
• Voters should ensure they have valid government issued photo identification
• Rain or severe weather will suspend operation
• Drive-thru locations will operate from 9:00am to 4:00pm
The deadline to request an Absentee Ballot is October 29. Voters are encouraged to take advantage of the Absentee Voting Process if they have any concern of contracting or spreading COVID-19. Anticipated high turnout and required social distancing could cause longer than usual wait times at polling locations on November 3. The ability to vote an Absentee Ballot due to concern about COVID-19 is legal pursuant to the emergency rule issued through the authority of the Alabama Secretary of State. The appropriate box to check on your Absentee Ballot Application is: “I have a physical illness or infirmity which prevents my attendance at the polls. [ID Required]” – this is the second box/selection on the Absentee Ballot Application.
Remaining Drive-Thru Absentee Voter Assistance Site:
Each Weekday through October 29
Madison County Courthouse
East Side Square (Washington Street/one way heading north) on the Courthouse Square, Downtown Huntsville
For questions or additional information please call 256-532-3684.
-REGISTER, VERIFY, OR CONFIRM-
• The deadline to register for the General Election is October 19
• You can register to vote by clicking HERE
• To verify your registration and confirm your polling location by clicking HERE
• For questions regarding voter registration or to confirm your polling location, please call (256) 532-3510
• Click HERE for the 2020 General and Constitutional Amendment Election Ballot
• Please take a close look at the second page of the Ballot – this will cover each proposed amendment in detail
• You may also review detailed information on the proposed constitutional amendments produced by Alabama’s Fair Ballot Commission by clicking HERE
• October 29 – Last day to apply for an Absentee Ballot or vote in-person at the Absentee Ballot Office
• November 2 – Last day to postmark or hand-deliver an Absentee Ballot to the Absentee Ballot Office
• November 3 – General Election
-HAVE A QUESTION? NEED HELP?-
• For questions related to absentee voting, please call (256)-532-3684
• For questions related to voter registration, please call (256) 532-3510
• For general questions or any other information, please call (256) 532-3330
Thank You for Visiting!
This website is designed to give you the elections information you need for Madison County, Alabama. Our goal is to provide our citizens access to the latest Madison County elections information – such as verifying your registration status, checking election results and finding contact information for all of our elected officials. Whether you are registering to vote, applying for an absentee ballot, wanting to work at a polling location or interested in voter registration and election statistics, this site is for you. We hope you find it helpful, interesting and easy to navigate. Please visit us often as we are always updating our site to better provide our citizens with the most up to date information.
As election professionals in the Madison County Probate, Circuit Clerk and Sheriff’s offices, we work to ensure the integrity of the electoral process, establish and enhance public confidence, encourage citizen participation and develop professional election standards compliant with state and federal law.
The right to vote is one of the most fundamental liberties we enjoy as Americans and is also one of our greatest civic responsibilities. Make freedom count. Please register and vote.
If you have any questions, suggestions or would like additional information we are ready to serve you – please call (256) 532-3330.
Website photography courtesy of Tiffany Landers Photography of Huntsville, Alabama.